SELAH of North Texas
Article I – Name
The name of the organization shall be SELAH of North Texas.
Article II – General Purposes and Goals
- To support and encourage parents desiring to educate their children at home
- To further the appreciation of home schooling in the community through education, community involvement, and media communication
- To provide educational opportunities toward the needs of the group
Article III – Membership
- For the purposes of this document, all references to the terms “Members” or “Membership” shall be defined as referring to the body of SELAH of North Texas corporately. All references to the term “Board” shall refer specifically to the body of appointed officers comprised of the Director, Secretary and Treasurer.
- Members must read and agree to abide with this organization’s Bylaws, Statement of Faith and Constitution. Complete agreement with the Statement of Faith is required for Board members only.
- Membership dues will be expected per family. Dues will be determined by the board. Special provision will be made for those who desire to be members but are unable to pay. Membership dues shall be waived for missionary, pastoral families and board members.
- Those who cease to abide by the Constitution or in some way bring disrepute to the organization shall be Biblically confronted by the board members for restoration; if restoration attempts are unsuccessful, these families will be excluded from membership (Matthew 18:15-17).
Article IV – Board
- The Board shall consist of a Director, Secretary and Treasurer.
- Qualifications: A. Officers must be members of (SELAH of North Texas) and be in complete agreement with the Statement of Faith. B. Officers shall have home schooled for no less than one (1) year. C. Officers shall be subject to censor and or dismissal by two-thirds of the membership attending a regularly scheduled business meeting.
- Board members are appointed by the board from member nominations to a minimum term of two (2) years.
- In the event that an office becomes vacant during term, the Board shall appoint a replacement officer from submitted member nominations. If nominations are unavailable, the Board shall open nominations.
- Special meetings may be called by the membership and shall be scheduled not less than four (4) nor more than (30) days from the date the request was made.
- All business matters shall be decided by a majority vote of the active members present at a meeting.
- The management of the affairs of this organization shall be vested in the Board.
- The Board shall meet on an as-needed basis, with a minimum of two meetings per year.
- All Board members shall work together in the performance of their duties to coordinate the activities for SELAH in a timely manner so as not to delay another member in the fulfilling of his duties.
- The goal of the Board is to operate by consensus. Where consensus among the Board is unobtainable, the office of Director shall have final authority.
Article V – Board Duties
General Board Duties
- Enforcement of the By-laws, Membership Guidelines and any other declaration of the Board.
- Affect the smooth and efficient flow of the home school group toward the stated purposes and goals of the organization.
- Bring to the attention of the membership any issues on which the membership must act.
- Set up temporary committees for specific purposes, which will be dissolved upon completion of their purpose.
- Supervise group activities as delegated to Board members by Director.
- Approve creation and dissolution of group activities.
- Preside at all meetings of the membership or appoint another board member to preside over meetings in the absence of the Director.
- Act as an official representative of the Group.
- Schedule Board and special meetings and draw up an agenda for each meeting. Notify membership of special meetings. A minimum of (2) Board meetings will be called annually.
- Delegate board members to supervise SELAH of North Texas sponsored activities.
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers to organize various activities throughout the year.
- Keep minutes of board and membership meetings. Share minutes with Board members.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of the membership and records of dues.
- Maintain an up-to-date list of the membership.
- Respond to requests for information from non-members in a timely fashion.
- Maintain a master calendar for all SELAH of North Texas sponsored activities.
- Oversee the typing, copying, and emailing of the monthly newsletters.
- Read minutes of previous meetings at each Board meeting.
- Notify Board of requests from non-members for information.
- File necessary legal documents.
- Keep record of all financial transactions.
- Disburse funds as needed to cover expenses incurred by SELAH of North Texas.
- Create and monitor an annual budget.
- Give current financial standing at each Board meeting.
- File necessary tax documents.
- Maintain book of financial records.
Article VI – Nominations
Board members shall be nominated by group members and appointed by the board. They shall serve a minimum 2-year term. The procedure shall be as follows:
- Any qualified member wishing to serve must submit their name and office of interest via nomination form from March 1st-31st.
- The Board will review nominations in April.
- Board will announce appointments at May meeting.
- If candidates for these positions are not submitted prior to March 31, the Board will dissolve until further action is taken by the general membership.
- New board members will assume office June 1st.
Article VII – Amendments and Execution
Bylaws will be reviewed annually by the Board. The Bylaws may be amended as needed by the Board. Amendments will take effect the following membership year.